June 9, 2014

Why I Teach

"He went to bed and took his book with him! I just about fell out of my chair!"
"He had his nose in that book all weekend! I've never seen him so interested in a book!"
"She came home and said she was going to read the next 2 chapters because it was her favorite chapter book ever. She has NEVER offered to read a book on her own before!"
These are just a few of the comments I've received from parents in the last few weeks.  
I had to admonish one of my kids for reading while we were working on another subject the other day. This happen to be the same child who pretended to read the first 4 weeks of school and had the potential to be "that" student.  The one who makes you want to go work at Wal-mart (not that there's anything wrong with that.) The boy that wouldn't do anything but draw all over his papers and disrupt others. Getting onto him for reading? Best day ever.
So why were these parents in such awe? What made there kids want to read? Magic fairy reading dust. And maybe some other stuff I did in class.  Whatever it was, I hope it never runs out.

3 comments:

  1. Obviously, you can sell reading!!! You have the magic fairy dust. This is an important gift that a teacher must have. Exciting to think that students take on these opportunities. So fun to watch their skills grow. Keep selling those stories to the students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great when we feel that something we have done as been successful and has changed students. That's why we teach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just awesome! I love it when kids confess that they like to read now. One year I had a kid who told me, "Miss, you broke me! I like reading now." Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete